Cannot install/run app - missing DLL

Greetings,
My name is Ellen Schreiber and I’m in Boston (singing with Chris Eastburn).
I installed the Flock app on my computer (Windows 10), and I got the Installation Complete popup - it successfuly installed. Then, when I dismissed the popup, I got an error that said it could not find 4 - Error after installation complete VCRUNTIME140_1.DLL. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app - same thing. The app is actually on the machine - installed - but when I try to run it, I get the same error. I googled it, and the DLL seems to be part of the C++ redistributable package. I found one note that said to make sure both the X86 and X64 versions were there. I found that DLL in multiple places on my computer - different sizes, so not all identical - but I don’t know where Flock is looking for it. (And I don’t have admin permissions, so it doesn’t really matter because I can’t copy it anyway.) I assume that I need to get it from you as part of the flock installation package.

Please advise.
NOTE: I’m hoping to test it out Friday night, as we are going to have our first rehearsal with Flock on Saturday.
Thank you,
Ellen

Hi Ellen and welcome to the Forum!

@Jan any thoughts on this?

Paul

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for the detailed overview.

The runtime is bundled within the Flock installer so it should install when you install Flock. Did the installer give you any warning or error messages?

Maybe running the installer again solves the problem.

Hi Jan,
I uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times and it didn’t change the error. Where is it looking for the DLL? I can check if it is there, but I’m sure it’s not.
Ellen

Or since it isn’t getting installed, is there something I can run to just install the DLL or the runtime package? As I said, I don’t have admin permissions so I cannot just copy and paste the DLL into the directory.

Oh, and I forgot to answer. There was no error message. The install was complete and successful. I got the pop-ups telling me that. It was when I dismissed the pop-ups that the error appeared. I got the same error when I try to run the app independently from the install.

Could you try to install the redistributable’s directly from Microsoft: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe?

After installing you can check if Flock starts.

Thanks. That worked. The app is running - no more message about a missing DLL.
So somehow, the DLL wasn’t being installed when I installed Flock. I didn’t change anything today - I didn’t even reinstall Flock - it was still loaded from my attempt on Wednesday. If there is anything I can do to help you figure it out, let me know. In the meantime, I’m up and running.
Thanks.
Ellen

Hi Paul & Jan,

A question related to Ellen and her husband Joe’s setup- their buffer size only goes as low as 140. We’re going to try testing it again this eve, however I’ve been noticing more delay than the latency numbers would indicate when testing Flock w them. Would that be a function of the buffer size? Do you know why their setup won’t go lower?

Flock displays the buffer sizes that their hardware (i.e. sound card) can support. Which means that Ellen’s computer doesn’t support 128. And yes, the relationship you’ve mentioned is correct… larger buffer size = more latency.

The benefit of a larger buffer size is it gives more time for the computer to process the audio stream. A slower computer will drop fewer audio packets (dropped packets = popping & crackling audio). So generally, there’s a trade-off with buffer size between latency and popping/crackling.

In Ellen and Joe’s case, 140 is still pretty low and should be ok. It’s above 200 that it starts becoming noticeable. So there may be something else going on.

Another thought… If they are on Windows with ASIO4ALL you should check if you’re able to set the buffer size on ASIO4ALL to also be 140

Just to add some specific numbers… Here’s a screenshot from my computer. My sound card doesn’t support exactly 140, but we can use it as an example anyway. Going from 128 samples to 160 samples increases the latency of this part of the process from 2.9ms to 3.6ms = 0.7ms extra. If Ellen were on 160 samples and assuming everything else stays the same, then Chris you would hear her 0.7ms later than when if she were at 128 samples. There’s also another a delay on the way back in. So there’s another 0.7ms of delay that Ellen would experience.

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 10.41.54

I’m not sure exactly how those two delays combined (out and then back in) contribute to the total experience, but bottom line there is a small additional delay caused by increase in sample size.

Here’s a list of other possible causes of latency: https://community.flock.digital/t/troubleshooting-guide/85#heading–latency