Blue Mic - static builds over time

Hi

I have a Blue Yeti Mic and one of my fellow singers has a Snowball and when we connect we start getting a build up of static over time, no one else hears the static and our signal is clear to other people. we usually resolve it by disconnecting and reconnecting the mic but that only works for several minutes and then it starts again.

it does appear to happen less when there are fewer people in the room. I am a Windows user with ASIO4ALL installed, a fairly fast internet connection (15mb down, 4mb up)

Thoughts?
Glenn

Hi… there have been a couple of other folks reporting static build-up, but we haven’t yet figured out what it is.

Two thoughts

• are you sure it relates to the mic and not the headphones? If you can hear it but no-one else can, perhaps it’s headphone related rather than the mic? Though as you say it is resolved temporarily when you disconnect and reconnect the mic, which suggests it’s the mic.
  • I did a quick google search on those two mics and found this https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=88757. See the 2nd post and if any of those tips are relevant for you, e.g. could be an issue with the PC not providing enough power from the USB port or the mic is not plugged in directly to the main USB port on the PC.

Paul

Hi Glenn,

Could you record the static and then post it here so we can get a sense of what it might be?
You should be able to record from within Flock. Just ask the Leader to go to Settings and ensure that the Show Record button is selected. And then a record button will appear for each Singer once connected to a Room.

I’m tagging @Sander so he can follow this thread too.

Thanks
Paul

I am one of those who suffered this issue. My mic was NOT plugged directly into the main USB port but through a docking station (Plugable USB 3.0). The next session we have I will move the mic to a main USB port.

1 Like

I have tested the mic plugged into the main USB port and the static build up still occurs. It can be remedied, as before, with the RESET DEVICE option in Settings. Build up occurs gradually over 5 minutes.

Were you able to record it? That would be really helpful for us to troubleshoot.